The Friendship Foundation Limited (TFF) is a Not for Profit organisation dedicated to working within the community to increase quality of life for individuals, families and carers touched by chronic and complex medical conditions.
You may be wondering why people would choose to dedicate a whole organisation to friendship. Well, the answer to that question is very simple…at some time in their life each person involved with TFF has faced challenges of their own. Each has experienced circumstances that caused heartache and often despair. As they struggled through those dark times, frequently the thing they missed most was friendship.
Losing friends and family is often the outcome of illness, injury or social displacement…especially if the challenges last a long time. People look around for support but very few friends or family are still there. Quite unexpectedly people find they have lost most of the people they depended on. They enter a dreadful time of social isolation! They find themselves feeling very alone and lonely. Of course some people remain…loved ones that become the carers or supporters in their world.
When people are down they have two choices. They can focus on the negative and sink even further into hopelessness or they can focus on turning their challenges around and find meaning from all the despair…and that is the focus of TFF.
Our Vision to work within the community to improve quality of life for Individuals, Carers and People Disadvantaged by Chronic Illness and Injury and/or Long Term Social Displacement.
We have a special interest in working with older Australians Living with Complex and Persistent Needs.
We work to:
- build resilience within the community;
- reduce social isolation, which is at epidemic proportions;
- reduce the stigma associated with many chronic conditions and disabilities (visible and invisible);
- educate medical professionals and the community about the importance of Self-Management and Peer Support in essential Cultural Change; and
- create a grassroots movement dedicated to strengthening mental health and wellbeing for every Australian family.
Currently, TFF is focused on funding research and projects the promote mental health and wellbeing within local communities.
In the coming months of 2018 we will promote:
- International Gratitude Day and the Month of Gratitude Day.
- Become a Friendship Foundation Guardian Angel.
- Become an Ovarian Cancer Guardian Angel.
- The Say Thanks December.